Scholarships and Awards
The Department of History offers a large number of scholarships and awards to our students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The majority of these awards and scholarships have been supported by, or endowed in honor of, former members of our faculty, in a tangible representation of their deep commitment to VCU and to history as discipline.
In addition, the College of Humanities and Sciences offers over 100 scholarship opportunities to currently enrolled students annually. The system features a searchable database of opportunities and details the requirements for each.
Listed below are the scholarships and awards offered to graduate students through the history department. The application process opens early January and closes late February. Contact Professor Joseph Bendersky at email@example.com if you have questions.
History Scholarships and Awards for Graduate Students
This scholarship honors William E. Blake, Ph.D., who taught in the department for 25 years before being named professor emeritus upon his retirement. Blake joined the university, then the Richmond Professional Institute, in 1965. He was named associate professor in 1969 and became a full professor in 1977. This merit-based scholarship is awarded to a full-time advanced undergraduate or graduate student majoring in history with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher and a demonstrated interest in the history of Medieval, Renaissance, Reformation and history of Christianity. An application can be completed online. Click here to access scholarship opportunities and do a keyword search for the specific scholarship(s) you wish to apply to during the open application period.
- 2019-2020, Ms. Sarah Bolstad
- 2018-2019, Ms. Victoria Glover
- 2017-2018, Ms. Sara Meagan Coward
- 2016-2017, Ms. Gretchen Gales
- 2015-2016, Ms. Jalesa Taylor
- 2014-2015, Ms. Katherine F. Bishop
- 2013-2014, Ms. Kelly Lipford
- 2012-2013, Ms. Sarah A. Robinson
- 2011-2012, Ms. Debbi L. Price
- 2010-2011, Ms. Catherine K. Kitchens
- 2007-2008, Ms. Martha A. Harper
- 2006-2007, Ms. Kimberly M. Fleming
- 2005-2006, Ms. Kimberly M. Fleming
- 2003-2004, Mr. Matthew J. Compton
- 2002-2003, Ms. Susan Wilson
- 2001-2002, Ms. Jennifer Bishop
Named for Dr. Jordan, who taught in the History Department at VCU from 1969-1984. The scholarship is awarded to a student who demonstrates the qualities Dr. Jordan inspired in his students and advisees - academic excellence, a passion for the study of history, leadership, and integrity. Students do not apply for this scholarship. All nominations and selections are by History Department faculty and committees.
- 2019-2020, Ms. Peighton Young
- 2018-2019, Mr. Mitchell Rogers
- 2017-2018, Mr. Kyle J. Rogers
- 2016-2017, Mr. Elias Mekonen
- 2015-2016, Mr. Robert Criqui
- 2014-2015, Mr. Brandon Seal
- 2013-2014, Mr. Nicholas Porter
- 2012-2013, Mr. Ben Plache
- 2011-2012, Ms. Heather N. Smith
- 2010-2011, Mr. Robert Przybylski
- 2007-2008, Mr. Samuel I. Ulmschneider
- 2006-2007, Ms. Tina Mathews
This scholarship was established by Craig Kennedy, husband of the late Susan Estabrook Kennedy, Ph.D. Two scholarships are awarded annually. Both undergraduate and graduate students majoring in history are eligible. One scholarship shall be awarded based on merit to a recipient with a GPA of 3.5 or higher and one shall be awarded based on merit and need to a recipient of 2.5 and higher. An application can be completed online. Click here to access scholarship opportunities and do a keyword search for the specific scholarship(s) you wish to apply to during the open application period.
- 2019-2020, Ms. Kristina Donnally, Mr. Kyle Fuller
- 2018-2019, Mr. Heath Anderson, Mr. Ever Bautista
- 2017-2018, Ms. Sara Meagan Coward, Mr. Robert Mathews
- 2015-2016, Mr. Jacob Ulmschneider, Ms. Erin Mullarney
- 2014-2015, Mr. Benjamin W. Fletcher, Mr. Jeremy K. Roberson
- 2013-2014, Mr. Joshua LeHuray, Mr. Jeremy Roberson
- 2012-2013, Graduate winner: Mr. Benjamin Plache, Undergraduate winner: Ms. Sarah A. Robinson
- 2011-2012, Graduate winner: Mr. Bryan S. Kessler, Undergraduate winner: Ms. Katherine S. Schmitz
- 2010-2011, Mr. Jason D. Carmichael, Ms. Jessica A. Dougherty
- 2008-2009, Mr. Muhammad H. Niaz, Ms. Leslee R. Key
- 2007-2008, Mr. Johnny A. Price, Mr. Michael Sims
- 2006-2007, Ms. Diane Anderson, Mr. William Schuman
- 2005-2006, Graduate Winner: Ms. Laura J. Ping
- 2005-2006, Undergraduate Winners: Ms. Catherine Lee Porter, Mr. Arian R. Terrill, Mr. Stephen Lee Thornton
- 2004-2005, Graduate Winners: Mr. Scott B. Hansen, Ms. Sara K. Eskridge
- 2004-2005, Undergraduate Winners: Mr. Abran N. Shaffer, Ms. Gilma B. Steele
The Marc Noble Scholarship in the History of Technology is endowed through a gift from Marc Noble, a VCU History major who made a successful career in the field of information security, to be awarded to a graduate or undergraduate History major with a demonstrated interest in ethical perspectives on technology and its uses, past and future. An application can be completed online. Click here to access scholarship opportunities and do a keyword search for the specific scholarship(s) you wish to apply to during the open application period.
- 2019-2020, Mr. Andrew Levin
The Schilling Fund was established by F. Robert Schilling, Jr. a VCU Department of History graduate and his mother Ms. Mildred Schilling. Each year the fund provides a small number of competitive grants for graduate students engaged in the study of the history. These funds are intended to support costs related to research and travel.
Applications are due December 1 and May 1, and consist of:
- a brief description of the project (approximately 500 words);
- an explanation of how the funds will be used, including a budget with a specific dollar amount for the total; and
- a letter of reference from a faculty member or thesis advisor.
Contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Professor Emilie Raymond if you have questions.
- 2019-2020, Meika Downey, Woodie Walker II, and Peighton Young
- 2018-2019, Heath Anderson
- 2017-2018, Claire Barnewolt
This merit based-scholarship honors the distinguished career of Dr. James T. Moore. Dr. Moore taught in the VCU History Department for over three decades, where he achieved a notable reputation as a teacher/scholar and served as department chair. This scholarship is awarded to a teacher currently enrolled in or applying to the VCU History M.A. Program. An application can be completed online. Click here to access scholarship opportunities and do a keyword search for the specific scholarship(s) you wish to apply to during the open application period.
- 2019-2020, Mr. Andrew Levin
- 2018-2019, Ms. Chesney Rhoades
- 2016-2017, Ms. Emily Chadwell
- 2015-2016, Mr. Michael Strusky
- 2014-2015, Mr. Benjamin D. Tyree
- 2013-2014, Mr. Michael Strusky
- 2012-2013, Mr. Jeffrey G. Dunnington
- 2011-2012, Ms. Mary O. Cosby
- 2010-2011, Ms. Mary H. Cosby
- 2008-2009, Mr. Mack H. Scott
This book prize award honors the best paper by a history graduate student. Students and faculty can submit papers and projects to Professor Joseph Bendersky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Award Recipients:
- 2019-2020, Ms. Ana Edwards
- 2018-2019, Ms. Victoria Glover
- 2016-2017, Ms. Marlea S. Donaho
- 2015-2016, Ms. Kathryn S. Parkhurst
- 2014-2015, Ms. Amanda Tompkins
- 2013-2014, Ms. Caitlin D. Foltz
- 2012-2013, Mr. Anthony Cox
- 2010-2011, Mr. Bryan Kessler
- 2009-2010, Ms. Alyce Graham, Mr. Jacques B. Vest
- 2008-2009, Mr. Schuyler Van Valkenburg
- 2007-2008, Ms. Lauren T. Wanveer
- 2006-2007, Mr. Scott B. Hansen
- 2005-2006, Mr. Scott B. Hansen
- 2004-2005, Mr. John M. Fout, Mr. Terrence M. Moore, Mr. Eric A. Ruark
- 2003-2004, Ms. Anne Berler, Mr. Scott Hansen
- 2002-2003, Ms. Angela L. Boyer
- 2001-2002, Mr. John McClure
- 2000-2001, Mr. John McClure
- 1999-2000, Mr. Solomon K. Smith
- 1979-1998, Mr. James Nuessle
- 1996-1997, Ms. Kelley M. Brandes